A total of 36 companies from 16 countries named as potential winners for this year’s Boat Builder Awards for Business Achievement 2022, in association with Raymarine.
The Boat Builder Awards are jointly organised by IBI and METSTRADE. It was created eight years ago with the objective to reward the outstanding business achievements of individuals and teams working across the worldwide leisure boat and superyacht sector. Key areas of focus include innovation, collaboration, environment, talent, and marketing.
This year’s final decisions were made by an international panel of subject matter experts from an initial selection of 100 entries. The judges shortlisted 26 nominations across eight categories and identified who would receive this year’s Lifetime Achievement and Rising Star awards during a spectacular gala dinner at Amsterdam’s historic Maritime Museum on 15 November. Details of the shortlisted entries follow below.
Chair of the judging panel and IBI Editor, Ed Slack, commented: “This year’s entries demonstrate incredible ingenuity and energy from boatbuilding, superyacht construction and allied trades operating across all six populated continents of the world as they address the key opportunities and challenges we face as an industry today. Despite post-pandemic impacts, logistics issues, geopolitical turmoil, and workforce shortages, our nominations illustrate that the sector is pushing on with key priorities including environmental impact reduction, innovation, personnel development and capturing a new generation of on-water enthusiasts. Our gala dinner in November will mark our strongest yet celebration of these positive transformative changes happening across our industry.”
METSTRADE director Niels Klarenbeek adds: “Following a very necessary absence over the past two years to keep everyone safe, we cannot wait to welcome the Boat Builder Awards back into the incredible amphitheatre of Amsterdam’s Maritime Museum this year. Every new boat, superyacht or product launched is only as good as the many people who collaborate to make it happen.
”The Boat Builder Awards, supported by our long-standing partner Raymarine, provides the perfect opportunity to highlight the invaluable work undertaken by thousands in our industry as well as the perfect networking opportunity for many to meet in this grand finale to the first day of METSTRADE.”
2022 SHORTLISTED ENTRIES
For full details on the category descriptions and our sponsors, click here
Retail Marketing Initiative, sponsored by ePropulsion
- Astondoa – 677 Coupe launch and social media interior design campaign
- BRP – Manitou Pontoon Boats multi-channel launch
- De Antonio Yachts – Partnership with Cupra
Collaborative Solution between a Production Boat Builder & its Supply Chain Partner, sponsored by Ultraflex
- Aquila & Sino Yachts – Close collaboration to overcome disruptive events
- Fairline Yachts & Lippert Marine Group Europe – Fairline 68 Squadron side access door
- Groupe Beneteau & Sailectron / SOLBIAN Solar – Lagoon 51 photovoltaic system
Collaborative Solution between a Superyacht Builder and its Supply Chain Partner
- Amer Yachts & Simrad Yachting – Green Assistant system
- Benetti Yachts &Siemens Energy – Benetti B.Yond 37M hybrid solution
- Numarine & Lippert Marine Group Europe – Patio doors for Numarine 37XP
- Sanlorenzo & ABA Yacht – Floating door system
Innovative On-board Design Solution, sponsored by Fusion
- Azimut Yachts – Grande 26M design features
- Balance Catamarans – Versa-Helm
- BRP – Manitou Pontoon Boats new generation design features
- Ferretti Group – X-AID Adaptive Integrated Docking System
- Sanlorenzo – SP110 design features
- Sunseeker International – 100 Yacht design features
Environmental Improvement in Manufacturing Process, sponsored by High Pressure Watermakers
- Baltic Yachts – Sustainability strategies
- Beneteau Group – Integration of bio-sourced materials and recyclable resin at scale
- Boston Whaler – Fully recyclable GRP boat R&D
Eco-focused Boat of the Year, sponsored by Marine Resources
- IMPACD Boats – 3D printed sustainable boat
- Northern Lights Composites – Ecoracer
- Spirit Yachts – Spirit 30
Designer of the Year, sponsored by Confindustria Nautica
- Carrie Fodor and Kristin McGinnis – Sea Ray
- Tony Castro Yacht Design
Best Apprenticeship or Training Scheme
- MAST Academy – apprenticeship programme
- Riviera Australia – Apprentice training programme
- Sunseeker International – Technical apprenticeships and graduate training
Rising Star, sponsored by Lumishore
This category celebrates those aged 35 or under, working for a boat builder, who have been making a growing impact on any aspect of their business. The judges have made their selection from an encouragingly strong field of candidates. Their pick of the global industry’s young talent will be revealed on the evening.
Lifetime Achievement, sponsored by Sleipner
The awards evening culminates with the much-anticipated Lifetime Achievement Award, presented in the previous seven years to
- Paolo Vitelli of AzimutBenetti
- Robert Braithwaite, CBE of Sunseeker International
- David King of Princess Yachts
- Annette Roux of Groupe Beneteau
- Robert T Healey Sr and William J Healey of Viking Yachts
- Christoph Rassy of Hallberg-Rassy
- Leon Slikkers of Slickcraft, S2, Tiara and Pursuit
Tickets to the Boat Builder Awards Gala Dinner are now on sale with the option to purchase individually or in tables of 10 to enjoy an unforgettable evening with colleagues and industry contacts under the starlit canopy of Amsterdam’s National Maritime Museum:
- Individual tickets are €275 plus VAT.
- A table of ten is €2,750 plus VAT.
a spectactular cruise through Amsterdam's scenic canals,
welcome drinks, gala dinner, entertainment,
the awards ceremony & after-dinner party.
The return of this event is not to be missed, tickets can be purchased here and are offered on a first come, first serve basis.