This year’s event was one of the most successful ever
The 31st MYBA Charter Show, held earlier this month at Marina Port Vell in Barcelona, appears to have been one of the most successful in the event’s history – if not the most successful. A number of records are reported to have been achieved.
The 2019 MYBA Charter Show comprised the following statistics:
- 60 yachts on show compared with 53 in 2018
- The total LOA of those yachts was 2,652m (8,707ft) as against 2,521m (8,277ft) last year
- The average LOA was 44.2m (145ft) versus 47.6m (156ft)
- Their total gross tonnage was 29,464, which was down compared with 32,167 GT last year
- The average gross tonnage was 491,07 in 2019 compared to 606.92 GT
- The accumulated charter rate was €11,486,500 as against€12,154,500 in 2018
- The average charter rate was €194,686
- Total number of attendees was 2,074 in 2018 while 2017 numbered 1,885. Of the 2,074, 518 were charter brokers and central agents, of which 167 were MYBA members.
In terms of exhibitor stands, a total of 502 staff manned them with 138 of them belonging to MYBA’s list of “Loyal Exhibitors”. Over 600 captains and crew worked to ensure that everything onboard the yachts and 65 members of the press attended.
In a statement MYBA said: “It was a spectacular show and we are sure that it will play a pivotal role in securing bookings and generating charter revenue.”
The success of the show of the past three years at Marina Port Vell has led MYBA to sign up the location for another two through to 2021. Gaye Joyeau-Bourgeois, MYBA president, commented: “The MYBA Charter Show is the first major event of the superyacht season for the charter sector and it is owing to the world-class facilities of OneOcean Port Vell, a marina that can cater to a show of both this calibre and size, that we have chosen to celebrate the next two editions at this port.”