Dutch shipbuilder Damen will launch a new model called New Frontiers as an extension of its yacht support range at the Monaco Yacht Show. Damen, the parent for superyacht builder Amels, launched the first model of this type last week.
New Frontiers is a 55m (181ft) vessel and it will debut dedicated owner and guest accommodation plus a host of yachting enhancements that distinguish the YS 5009 from its predecessors. This new build is scheduled for delivery in September and has been confirmed to appear at the Monaco Yacht Show.
Damen commercial director Rose Damen says: “New Frontiers will take her owner into new territory with a combination of adventure and superyacht support functions. New Frontiers is ripping up the rule book. It’s still a yacht support vessel, but you can’t put this vessel into one category or another – and that reflects exactly the wishes of our clients.”
She adds: “They want their holiday to be about freedom and spontaneity – New Frontiers makes that possible. Whether it’s a weekend dive adventure trip away from their superyacht or enjoying two locations at once linked by helicopter, it’s all about unforgettable experiences and freedom.”
Damen, a global shipbuilding group with over 30 shipyards, is now the established leader in the rapidly developing superyacht support vessel niche. In total 11 yacht support vessels have been delivered or are in build.
Damen product director Mark Vermeulen comments: “A yacht support vessel offers superyacht owners more luxury yachting fun than ever, but at a much lower total cost of ownership than acquiring more capability with a larger yacht. Plus, they get all the benefits of flexible operations, straightforward maintenance and privacy. That’s why we call it the Smart Stretch.”
While New Frontiers shares its semi-displacement Damen Sea Axe platform with previous yacht support vessels like FAST & FURIOUS, Damen’s design team have included a new layout and added enhanced yachting features.
New Frontiers’ key features are:
- Owner suite on main deck
- A total of three suites accommodating six guests
- Lounge and dining of approximately 30sq m
- Sun deck approximately 50sq m
- Aft Adventure Centre with large stores/dive and sports centre
- Extra accommodation for four staff, pilots, security, guides
- Helipad and main deck area of approximately 190sq m with standard fittings for modular tender cradles and containers (Total deck area 240sq m)
- Reduced draught for operations in shallow waters
- Low noise and vibrations in guest areas
- Updated installations for smooth marina operations
- Enhanced yachting AV and navigation systems
- Performance knuckle-boom deck crane with capacity of 12 tonnes (6 tonnes at 11.50m outreach)
- Technically ready for A-frame installation (to launch and retrieve submersibles)