The 2017 British Marine Trades Association (BMTA) awards were presented at a special event held during the London Boat Show on Tuesday.
The BMTA awards offer the opportunity to recognise the many companies that make important contributions to the leisure marine industry but do not have the glamour of yacht builders or designers.
BMTA chairman Paul Martin commented: “These awards are one of the few times that our sector of the industry can acknowledge achievements and milestones, and recognise the individuals that have excelled and contributed within the marine industry for the benefit of all.”
The winners of the 2017 awards were:
- Business of the Year - Aquafax, a leading distributor of marine and industrial equipment for its long support of the industry and shows.
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Gary Sutcliffe of Lee Sanitation, a frontrunner in the marine sanitation and marina pump-out systems sector. Sutcliffe retired last year after 17 years with Lee Sanitation.
- Marine Personality Award – Peter Gordon of Rockley, the training and events organisation. Gordon is owner and financial director of Rockley. He is also an RYA coach assessor and powerboat instructor.
- Business Environment Award – Land Rover Bar in recognition of the team’s commitment to sustainability as well as its campaign to say no to say to single use plastics. At their Portsmouth base they have installed oyster beds and bee hotels as part of their sustainability initiatives.
- Boating Business Website Award – ASAP Supplies Ltd, the East Anglian equipment supplier.
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year – Alastair Clayton, managing director of Seaglaze. In 2014 he formed a new division for specialist toughened glass that saw production brought back to the UK.
- Scott Deverell Young Businessperson of the Year – Oliver Lanza, director of Timage.
- BMTA Chairman’s Special Award – Peter Wallbank of August Race, which specialises in innovative cleaning and maintenance materials.
- Second British Marine David Coleman Excellence in Exporting Award – Fendequip, a leading manufacturer of fender covers, inflatable yacht fenders and other mooring-related products.
- British Marine Leisure Boating Customer Service Award – Nisos Yacht Charter, which gained a 70% year-on-year repeat business record and is rated ‘excellent’ by TripAdvisor.
The BMTA Awards are sponsored by Boating Business, Boatshed.com, Matchtech, Aquafax, PSP Worldwide Logistics, Ocean Safety and A-Plan.