The NMMA announced 17 winners of the 2018 MIBS Innovation Awards and presented the Alan J Freedman and Charles F Chapman awards at this morning’s industry breakfast at the Miami boat show.
Giuseppe Carnevali, CEO of Navionics, was presented with the NMMA 2018 Alan J Freedman Award. The award recognises individuals who’ve made outstanding contributions to the marine accessories industry through leadership, creativity and personal motivation.
“NMMA is proud to honour Giuseppe Carnevali with the Alan J Freedman Award for his ingenuity and lifelong commitment to the marine industry, most notably his work to modernise marine navigation,” noted Thom Dammrich, NMMA president. “Giuseppe changed how navigation is viewed and played a large role in shaping how modern mariners plot their on-water adventures.”
Carnevali holds a Doctor of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture from the University of Genova in 1971 and became the production manager of the prestigious Benetti Shipyard. He was the project manager for the construction of Nabila, the most sophisticated megayacht of its time. He then launched a company that introduced the first CAD-CAM technology and computer graphics into Italian shipbuilding. In 1984, he launched Navionics, which was the world’s first electronic charting device. “Giuseppe’s invention of the Geonav chartplotter paved the way for today’s GPS devices,” said Dammrich.
Phil Cappel of the US Coast Guard and Tom Marhevko of the NMMA received the Charles Chapman award. “Phil and Tom have devoted their entire careers to bettering the boating industry and community,” said Dammrich during the ceremony. “Phil spent his entire career in service to the United States Coast Guard and has helped marine manufacturers understand and comply with regulations, establish standards for the marine industry and ensure the quality and safety of recreational boats for the public.”
The Innovation Awards are judged by members of Boating Writers International (BWI). This year’s entries had 62 products across 17 categories.
The winners are:
- Cabin Cruisers: Boston Whaler 350 Realm
- Fishing Boats: Pursuit Boats PDC 365
- Consumer Safety Equipment (Dual Winners): Throw Raft Search and Rescue Yellow TD2401, Weems & Plath CrewWatcher MOB Alert
- Cuddy Cabin and Bowrider Boats: Tiara Sport 38 LS
- Deck Equipment: Hardin Marine Outboard Swivel Rigging Hose Connector Kit
- Docking and Fendering Equipment: PowerDocks Blue Isles Solar Docks
- Electric Motor/Battery Powered Propulsion/Hybrids: Annapolis Hybrid Marine’s PropEle Electric Boat Motors Inc.
- Environmental Award: Plasteak PlasDeck Eco Series,
- Inboard Engines: Yanmar 3JH40 Common Rail Inboard Diesel Engine
- Outboard Engines: Mercury Marine 3.4L V6 Outboard
- Personal Gear, Soft Goods: Grundens Super Watch Jacket
- Personal Watercraft: BRP Sea-Doo GTX Limited Watercraft
- Propulsion Equipment & Parts: Vetus Maxwell BOW-Proportional Honorable Mention: Yamaha SurfPointe
- Sailboats: Jeanneau Walk-Around Deck 490, Honorable Mention: Leopard 50
- Tow Boats: MasterCraft Xstar
- Watersport Equipment: Rigid Boats Frigid Rigid Pull Cooler