Early January marked the first Asia boat show of 2018 with the launch of the Phuket Rendezvous from January 4-7. The event replaces the long-running Phuket International Boat Show (PIMEX) which ran for 14 years, the last 10 years at the same Royal Phuket Marina venue.
Besides a change in name, the new organisers, Asia Rendezvous Thailand Ltd, have brought a change in focus to a more luxury lifestyle-orientated event with property, travel, luxury cars, fine food and jewellery exhibitors in addition to the 40 yachts and boats afloat and ashore.
The event included the first edition of the Christofle Yacht Style Awards for the boating industry in Asia-Pacific, organised and sponsored by Yacht Style magazine. The awards ceremony took place during a gala dinner hosted by Phuket Boat Lagoon on the first evening of Phuket Rendezvous 2018. The gathering saw some 300 VIPs, yacht owners and key personalities from the yachting industry in attendance.
“Our idea is to take a fresh approach to the way such accolades were presented in the past, and to seek out truly innovative ways in which owners can choose to go down to the sea in sailboats or motor yachts,” Yacht Style CEO and publisher Gael Burlot told the gathering.
“Congratulations to this year’s awards winners and nominees in the 25 categories. They are helping to power the rapidly-increasing interest in boating in Asia-Pacific waters, and many others will be recognised for their valuable efforts in the years ahead,” he said.
Yacht Style associate editor, Bruce Maxwell, coordinated the new-look formula. “I hope the dossiers compiled, and owners and experienced reviewers consulted, will provide an enhanced level of credibility to this event,” said Maxwell.
“The Christofle Yacht Style Awards were designed to showcase excellence and creative flair in the latest motor and sailing yacht models presented in the Asia-Pacific region and beyond. During the judging, innovation across the industry was specifically encouraged.”
The Christofle Yacht Style 2018 Award winners were:
Boat & Builder Categories
- Asian-Built Motor Yacht Range 15m-24m: Grand Banks 60, Malaysia
- Asian-Built Motor Yacht Range 24m-30m: Horizon Yachts FD85, Taiwan
- Asian-Built Motor Yacht Over 30m: Gulf Craft, Majesty 100, UAE
- International Motor Yacht under 15m: Galeon 460 Fly, Poland
- International Motor Yacht Range 15m-24m: Sunseeker 76, England
- International Motor Yacht Range 24m-30m: Monte Carlo Yachts MCY 96, Italy
- International Motor Yacht Over 30m: Azimut Grande 35m, Italy
- International New Release Range 15m-24m: Princess Yachts P62, England
- International New Release Range 24m-30m: Sanlorenzo SX 88, Italy
- International New Release Over 30m: Custom Line 120, Italy
- International Sailing Yacht in Asia: Beneteau Oceanis Yacht 62, France
- Multi-Hull Motor Yacht under 15m: Aquila 36 Power Catamaran, China
- Multi-Hull Motor Yacht Over 15m: Lagoon Seventy 8, France
- Multi-Hull Sailing Yacht under 15m: Fountaine Pajot, Saona 47, France
- Multi-Hull Sailing Yacht Over 15m: Sunreef Yachts, 88 Double Deck, Poland
- Asia-Pacific Superyacht Builder: Heysea Yachts, China
- International Superyacht Builder: Feadship, Netherlands
- Interior Design: Dominator Ilumen, 28M
- Exterior Styling: Ferretti Yachts 920, Italy
- Asian-Based Charter Company: Northrop & Johnson Asia
- International Brokerage Company in Asia: Burgess
- Marina Development: Ocean Marina, Pattaya, Thailand
- Green Boating Initiative: Seakeepers Asia, Julian Chang
- Entrepreneur of the Year: Vrit Yongsakul, Boat Lagoon Yachting, Southeast Asia
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Anil Thadani